F11 problem: yum won't authenticate through HTTP proxy

Delaunay Christophe christophe.delaunay at thomson.net
Mon Jun 15 11:20:48 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Since my computer is behind an HTTP proxy requiring a so-called "basic
authentication", I tried the following for yum to work:

First, I tried to define the environment variables http_proxy,
https_proxy and ftp_proxy to
http://<my_user_name>:<my_password>@<my_proxy_hostname>:<my_proxy_port>.

Although it worked just fine in F10, it doesn't anymore in F11. Why?

Alternately, I tried to edit the /etc/yum.conf file, adding the
following lines:

proxy=http://<my_proxy_hostname>:<my_proxy_port>
proxy_username=<my_username>
proxy_password=<my_password>

This didn't work also.

Since I got another program which is able to authenticate itself through
the proxy, and this program is even able to open an SSL tunel through
this proxy, I'm pretty sure the problem doesn't come from the proxy
itself. However, how should I solve my yum problem please?

Many thanks in advance. Have a nice day. Chris