OpenJDK / IcedTea is ###p

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Mon Jun 15 13:36:06 UTC 2009

Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> Jpackage one is the one to use as Sun's rpm according to my info isn't
> compatible with redhat/fedora (from what I have read haven't tested
> myself). Problem with jpackage is that they are exrtremely slow at
> updating when new version of jdk comes out so you just have to hope that
> no one exploits the security problems in old one before they get around
> updating.

Thank you for clarifying my doubt.

It's true, the updates are really slow at jpp, even if the spec does
not change too much between revisions, so it would not be a big effort
to keep it updated.

To be honest, I never modified the spec myself, as I keep Java
disabled in my browser and only use the JVM to run stuff I compile
or stuff which was compiled/downloaded a lot of time ago.
So it is not so easy to sneak an exploit into my machine. ;-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it