Root Access

Smith, Herb herb.smith at boeing.com
Mon Jun 15 20:27:19 UTC 2009

I'm sure that all of the warnings about logging on as root are correct,
and while danger lurks, there seems to be an issue here that could have
a better solution.  A while back there was a big discussion about
whether the application names should be listed on the menus for various
things such as the "document viewer".  It seems that the problem is
that, yes, there are always ways to accomplish what you need to do at
the command line through an su to root, but folks that aren't steeped in
Linux are often unaware of what the necessary commands are.  When you
run into the problem of requiring root access many are tempted to figure
that they need to log on as root.  A new user gets caught in a sort of
Catch 22.  You need root access, but you can't log on as root, and you
have no idea of how to accomplish that at the command line, or in some
cases, if it's even possible to do it at the command line.

I think that if Windoze users had to go to the command line every time
they needed administrator privledges most people would not have a
clue...

I know that the ultimate solution is an education process, but it would
seem that there could be a way to facilitate that short of buying
"Running Linux" from O'Reilly.  "Running Linux" is a fine book, but
isn't this kind of thing one of the issues that you always hear about
Linux not being a suitable OS for a non-expert user?

Herb