laptop battery died while upgrading using Pre-upgrade

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 13:58:25 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't know what to do. I guess I could reinstall. But this can not be
> that uncommon a problem? Surely people can lose power while upgrading
> using preupgrade, even tho I was careless in this case.
>
> I wonder if erasing the fc11 rpms would help.
>
> While I upgrading, I was told that I would have 1674 packages which
> would be updated. The laptop battery died while it was on 1047 (I think!
> but I am pretty sure of this number).
>
> If I do yum erase \* I get asked toremove 2752 packages.
>
> If I do yum erase \*fc11 I get asked to remove 1092 packages (incl
> deps).
>
> If I do yum erase \*fc10 I get asked to remove 1627 packages (incl
> deps).
>
> The total 1092+1627 = 2719 is less than 2752. So I was wondering if
> removing these fc11 and upgrading from scratch would help.
>
> Btw, going into Upgrade Leonidas at boot now causes the system to say
> that it can not find the root system of an existing installation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Well, I'm thinking it might just be better to do a fresh install than
trying to save a hosed setup. That being said, if you don't have fresh
backups of important stuff, you might boot from a rescue or "Live" CD and
see if you can back stuff up to External HDD / DVD/CD/Tape somehow from
there. Oh, and next time, plug your laptop in *before* you try an upgrade.
:-)

Good luck!