F11 fix for sound on Intel HDA machines ?

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Fri Jun 19 21:38:31 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 01:08:14 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 23:30 +0530, Tarun Ramakrishna wrote:
> > I had the same problem too on my T61.. It's not a driver problem -
> > Intel HDA gets detected,  it because the  default channel selection
> > doesn't appear to be selected right. (there is a bug open on this
> > too). Open up kmix - configure so that all channels are shown.
> > (PCM/speaker/etc). Increase the volume on all channels till you
> find
> > out which channel are you getting sound on.
>
> I opened Kmix, went to Settings-> Configure Channels and enabled all
> channels.  I unmuted everything.  I still don't have any sound.
> Any ideas ?

Sorry, but it is a driver problem. The current
( 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE in my case ) kernel ships the 1.0.18a Alsa
driver (confirm this with "cat /proc/asound/version") Significant work
was done on hda_intel between 18a and 19. The current version is
1.0.20. Download the source from http://www.alsa-project.org compile
and install. You'll need the development rpms, of course, but otherwise
there should be no problems. (Works for me TM)