Change Machine, No Sound (longish)

stan gryt2 at q.com
Fri Jun 19 22:00:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:22:59 -0500
Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> $ cat /etc/modules.conf
> # I2C module options
> alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
> #options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7

When I looked at my file, I realized I've been giving you bad
information.  The file in /etc is modprobe.conf, not modules.conf. Here
is how you set it

options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1724   <---- replace snd-ice1724 with your card
options snd-ice1724 index=0    <---- should be snd-via32xx for you
alias snd-card-1 snd-ck8s      <---- you can delete these two
options snd-ck8s index=1       <---- lines.
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio <---- this doesn't hurt anything
options snd-usb-audio index=7  <---- so you can leave it

This info is also in the alsa-info.sh output.

> I don't see anything in there about sound cards at all.
> Maybe I need to add another alias or something in there. I could try
> pulling that file from a backup, and see what it used to look like.
>
> The output of aplay was, to say the least, verbose, being 249 lines.
> What part of it is significant?

The part that says card 0.  It will tell you which device is considered
card 0 and thus default.  What you want to see is that the via is card
0, and not the modem device.  This info is also in the alsa-info.sh
output.

249 lines.  Wow!  With two cards my system is just over one screen.

Try just    aplay -l

$ aplay -l
card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 0: ICE1724
[ICE1724] Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958
[ICE1724 IEC958] Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Revolution51 [M Audio Revolution-5.1], device 2: ICE1724
Surrounds [ICE1724 Surround PCM] Subdevices: 3/3
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
card 1: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
IEC958] Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So my default device is the ICE1724.  You want to see VIA32xx as card 0.