Dual screen / Xinerama

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Tue Jun 23 09:53:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 03:40:59 am Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I've got on this topic before and also done a load more googling but I
> still haven't got an answer.
>
> I have a FC10 / WinXP system at home with a NVidia GForce 9600 card in it.
> Attached to it I have 2 19" screens.
>
> In WinXP everything works fine. I have the left screen as the main one and
> can open and drag windows between the two screens with ease.
>
> However, in FC10 all I can manage to do is to get both screens to have the
> content which is of course no use.
>
> My research points to me needing to use Xinerama. However, that same
> research indicates that this is no longer supported being replaced by
> another project which then itself got dropped.
>
> Is this true?
> If not, does anyone have SIMPLE instructions on how to set it up
> If yes, is there an alternative system I could use?

I use the following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. As my monitors are not exactly the
same size, note that you'd probably need to edit the "PreferredMode" Option.
I included those modes explicitly as one of my monitors was defaulting to a
crappier resolution that what it could handle.

This works for me in F10 and F11 with the open source nouveau driver.

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "DVI-I-0"
        Option       "LeftOf" "VGA-0"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "VGA-0"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
        Option       "DPMS" "Off"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "nouveau"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Device0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E