OT: Dual Pentium III, good enough for current 2.6 kernel linux?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 23 18:00:54 UTC 2009

Fernando Cassia wrote:
> 2009/6/23 Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I惴 contemplating what to do with one of my old desktops which is a
>>> dual Pentium III, 650Mhz, with 1 Gig of RAM and
>>> ATA-33 hard disk controller, plus two Elsa Gloria Synergy 8MB PCI
>>> video adapters (video chipset? I don愒 even remember) for a
>>> dual-display config.
>>>
>>> Would Fedora 11 run OK in such a system. I惴 afraid Gnome might eat a
>>> lot of the cpu horsepower available, just for eye candy...
>> I have an old laptop that dreams of specs like that. It runs GNOME on
>> F11 just fine.
>>
>> (Single-core Pentium III, 750MHz, 384MB RAM, Blah video hardware.)
>
> All PIIIs are single cores, AFAIK. Mine is dual in the sense of having
> two CPUs, including heatsink. You know, good ole "SMP" before the
> multicore craze started.
>
> Good to know F11 runs OK. I wasn´t even sure it included i586 kernels.

PIII is recent. Not clear if it would run on PentiumPro, although I don't see
why not. PPro had full speed cache, P-II had half speed, and I think there was
some other difference regarding running 16 bit MS-DOS programs, but I can't
remember what it was. My original dual-PPro ran Xenix-386 IIRC, and
compatibility with anything 16 bit was irrelevant.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>