OT: Dual Pentium III, good enough for current 2.6 kernel linux?

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 23 20:30:27 UTC 2009

On 06/23/2009 09:52 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I´m contemplating what to do with one of my old desktops which is a
> dual Pentium III, 650Mhz, with 1 Gig of RAM and
> ATA-33 hard disk controller, plus two Elsa Gloria Synergy 8MB PCI
> video adapters (video chipset? I don´t even remember) for a
> dual-display config.

I have a friend with an even older box that I'm working hard to rescue.
That one has a 4 Gb SCSI hard drive and a Pentium II. It is old, old,
old, equipment. It runs OpenServer 5.0.4 which is another migraine
headache for me. That's my opinion of old hardware.

My advice to you is to give the Pentium III box to a charity, and get
yourself a new quad core Intel machine. Load it up with memory and start
playing with virtualization. A new machine lets your work with all the
new technologies that are coming out and you will be able to do so much
more, if in fact you choose to do so. Note that I'm not saying that you
will do a whole lot more. But the potential is definitely there for you
with a new machine. There is absolutely no technical reason today or a
year from now to stick with an old machine. Get the new stuff and you
won't be sorry.

Bob