x86_64 install fails, i386 install works, but ubuntu fixes all

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jun 24 09:45:43 UTC 2009

B Wooster wrote:
> Then, I tried to make DVD playback work - followed all instructions
> for libdvdcss, xine, totem, etc, but no luck - cannot play DVDs,
> something about MPEG codec not found.

You most likely missed some packages. libdvdcss is only for decryption, you
also need codecs for decompression: xine-lib-extras-freeworld or
gstreamer-plugins-ugly depending on what your app uses.

> Kubuntu first-boot was smooth - it popped up a window "hardware driver
> upgrade", which was required to get into full 1600x1200 mode on my
> display, to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.

Fedora intentionally does not support or recommend proprietary drivers. We
do not consider substracting your freedom an "upgrade".

>From http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html :
| Watch out, though—a number of companies that associate themselves with the
| term “open source” actually base their business on non-free software that
| works with free software. These are not free software companies, they are
| proprietary software companies whose products tempt users away from
| freedom. They call these “value added”, which reflects the values they
| would like us to adopt: convenience above freedom. If we value freedom
| more, we should call them “freedom subtracted” products.

> DVDs played back too! Dragon Player asked to download required files, and
> everything just worked.

Fedora cannot do that for legal reasons. Shipping MPEG codecs violates US
patents, shipping libdvdcss the US DMCA. As Fedora is based in the USA, we
can't break their laws.

You need xine-lib-extras-freeworld from RPM Fusion and libdvdcss from Livna
to play DVDs with Dragon Player.

Unfortunately, I don't know where your driver issues with the x86_64 version
came from. It's working well for many people. And the i586 version working
fine whereas the x86_64 version is broken is particularly bizarre.

        Kevin Kofler