Graphics card recommendation?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:01:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 07:14 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:04:34 +0200
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
> > This is bullshit. Intel integrated graphics (except the GMA 500) just work.
> > Non-HD Radeons just work too.
>
> "Just work" in the sense that apps like neverputt are slow and jerky
> and use 99% of the cpu (with the radeon driver anyway) compared to
> previous non-DRI2 X where they were smooth and only hit about
> 60% of the cpu.

Funny.  Neverputt works perfectly for me on an Intel GM965 chipset.
Frankly, I'm quite glad that we're finally past the horror that was the
Fedora 10 Intel graphics driver.  Yes, it was a nasty six months, but
since installing Fedora 11, I haven't had a single graphics-related bug.

FWIW, I believe that Ubuntu 9.04 is now going through what we went
through with Fedora 10, so I probably wouldn't switch to Ubuntu if I was
frustrated with the new Intel graphics driver (or I'd switch to 8.10 or
8.04).

Jonathan