F10 -> F11 X server problem with /dev/fb0

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 04:17:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Peter J. Stieber<developer at toyon.com> wrote:
<...snip...>
> AF> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html
> AF>
> AF> "You'll need to create the framebuffer device in /dev.
> AF> You need one per framebuffer device, so all you need
> AF> to do is to type in mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0 for the first
> AF> one. Subsequent ones would be in multiples of 32, so for
> AF> example to create /dev/fb1, you would need to type in
> AF> mknod /dev/fb1 c 29 32, and so on up to the eighth
> AF> framebuffer device (mknod /dev/fb7 c 29 224)"
>
> I already have a /dev/fb that I didn't create...
>
> crw-------. 1 pstieber root     29,   0 2009-06-24 08:15 fb
>
> Should I still create /dev/fb0?

I would since the error message you get points to the specific
filename /dev/fb0. But note the "29, 0"  for /dev/fb, which means
for a second one it would be "29, 32". If you feel brave
delete the /dev/fb and create a new /dev/fb0. I wonder what would
happen if you rename /dev/fb to /dev/fb0. Just be cautious and
try whatever you're comfortable with.

> I used a F11 network install CD to update.

Probably most people do the same. Network installs (in particular NFS) are
very efficient.

> Thanks for the help Aldo,
> Pete

you're welcome.