NFS4 home mounts owned by nfsnobody

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jun 25 05:15:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 20:53 +0100, John Austin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 14:15 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:

[snip]

> > I have a similar error message:
> >
> >         Jun 24 13:49:57 bolt rpc.idmapd[2481]: nss_getpwnam: name 'braden at hinge.endoframe.net' does not map into domain 'endoframe.net'
> >
> > hinge is my NIS server machine (as well as the NFS server); this error
> > message occurs on the client.  Adding an entry for hinge to /etc/hosts
> > does not appear to have changed this.
> >
> >         # cat /etc/hosts
> >         127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 bolt bolt.endoframe.net
> >         ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
> >         192.168.1.21 hinge hinge.endoframe.net
> >

> The error message suggests "something" (rpc.idmapd ?)  is adding the
> server !!!!  hostname (hinge) !!!! to the domainname which is causing
> the problem.

Yup.

> Try putting just bolt (and not bolt.endoframe.net)
> and no 192.168.1.21 hinge hinge.endoframe.net in /etc/hosts
> and reboot

That was the first thing I tried. (Though I tried it again just for good
measure.)  The additions of bold.endoframe.net and the entry for hinge
were just experiments that had no discernible impact.

> My NFS server is also my NIS, dhcpd, samba and DNS server

My DNS server is on a separate box.  I'm not using DHCP.

> My NIS and DNS domains are both called jaa.org.uk

I'm close to changing my NIS domain to endoframe.net; but I doubt that's
the problem.

> On my clients I have
> naxos sysconfig 33# cat network
> HOSTNAME=naxos
> NETWORKING=yes
> NISDOMAIN=jaa.org.uk

I was fully qualifying HOSTNAME here.  I'm not anymore.

> I am using network and NOT NetworkManager

I've changed from NetworkManager to network.  The only impact of that
I've noticed was on clients, where ypbind wouldn't find the server at
boot when using NetworkManager.

One thing I've noticed is that even though I've changed HOSTNAME
in /etc/sysconfig/network to "hinge" (from "hinge.endoframe.net"),
ypinit still sees "hinge.endoframe.net":

        # /usr/lib64/yp/ypinit -m

        At this point, we have to construct a list of the hosts which will run NIS
        servers.  hinge.endoframe.net is in the list of NIS server hosts.  Please continue to add
        the names for the other hosts, one per line.  When you are done with the
        list, type a <control D>.
        	next host to add:  hinge.endoframe.net
        	next host to add:

I am wondering if this could be related to the problem.  Do you know
where ypinit picks up this name from?  I've seen some howtos where it is
not fully qualified (e.g.,
<http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch30_:_Configuring_NIS#Initialize_Your_NIS_Domain>).

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>