F11: Mounting USB stick or CDROM suddenly need root password

Rick Wagner rjwgnr27 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 29 01:33:30 UTC 2009

This worked after I originally installed Fedora 11: If I plugged in a USB
stick or inserted a CD/DVD ROM, the new device notifier would inform me, and
allow me to open in Dolphin (as well as other choices).  If I selected the
"Open in Dolphin", it would do just that.

As of recently, when I try to open, a dialog pops up asking for root password.
Same when I select "Safely remove".  If I enter the password, things proceed
as desired.

This behavior appears to shown up about the time I had sound permission
problems.  Resolved the sound problem by modifying
security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms to add:

<sound>=/dev/snd/*
<console>  0600 <sound>      0600 root

These same two behaviors (sound and mount) showed up for me mid-life in
Fedora-8 too. The same fix resolved the sound problems then, and I lived with
entering the root password for USB devices until I finally upgraded to F11.  It
was  joy when device mounting worked again, however short lived.

Any thoughts on this?

	--rick