problem with replacing kernel

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 29 22:14:48 UTC 2009

mohammed shambakey writes:

> « HTML content follows »
>
> Hi all
> I have fedora 8 installed, and I want to use Linux kernel 2.6.24.7 from
> <URL:http://www.kernel.org>www.kernel.org, instead of 2.6.26.6-49.fc8 (I
> just need it). But after I install it and try to reboot, the system gives
> me errors about mounting somethings and a BIOS error.
> Plz help.

You cannot just drop a stock kernel into Fedora and expect it to work.
mkinitrd does quite a bit of work in order to assemble an initrd containing
all the kernel modules that are required to boot your system. Fedora kernels
are built minimalist, and mkinitrd gets invoked when the kernel gets
installed. mkninitrd examines your hardware and configuration files, and
assembles the initrd image that loads the kernel modules you need.

If you want to install a custom kernel you will need to do a fair bit of
work in order to identify which kernel modules you need, and build a kernel
that includes the necessary kernel modules. Nobody can tell you what they
are, you have to figure it out yourself, by pulling apart your existing
initrd, seeing which modules it loads, and then building a kernel that
includes those modules.