problem with replacing kernel

Veli-Pekka Kestilä fedora at guagua.fi
Tue Jun 30 07:43:14 UTC 2009

mohammed shambakey wrote:
> I need the old kernel to install ChronOS (which is based on this old
> one, it can be found at http://www.real-time.ece.vt.edu/chronos.html)
> the following errors appear:-
> unable to access resume device
> mount: could not find file system
> setuproot: mounting /dev failed: no such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
> setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
> switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
>
> 2009/6/29 Veli-Pekka Kestilä <fedora at guagua.fi <mailto:fedora at guagua.fi>>
>
>     mohammed shambakey wrote:
>
>         Hi all
>         I have fedora 8 installed, and I want to use Linux kernel
>         2.6.24.7 from www.kernel.org <http://www.kernel.org>
>         <http://www.kernel.org>, instead of 2.6.26.6-49.fc8 (I just
>         need it). But after I install it and try to reboot, the system
>         gives me errors about mounting somethings and a BIOS error.
>         Plz help.
>         Thanks
>
>     Two questions,
>
>     why you want to use the older kernel
>     and is there some big reason to stay in unsupported F8?
>
>     Anyway you should also post the errors if you want more help. As
>     there could be quite many things that can go wrong.
>
>     -vpk
>
>     --

Could be that you have problems with your initrd-image. Have you created it?
Also check that you have all the filesystem related things in kernel you
need like lvm, ext3, etc. compiled correctly. As the error sounds like
it can't find either the initrd-image and/or root filesystem.

If nothing else helps you could download the Fedora kernel source
package and fix it so that it uses the kernel patches of ChronOS (Will
probably need quite much tinkering).

In any case you should ask the people maintaining that ChronOS that
which distribution they use and use that. It will save you with lot of
headaches in future. These scientific projects can be really picky on
which platform they run in addition to kernel version.

-vpk

PS. Don't top post. It's quite rude to do so in this list.