Fedora 11 unusable !!!

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 30 10:27:21 UTC 2009

Luc MAIGNAN writes:

> Hi geeks,
>
> I caanot work with Fedora 11 on my Dell Vostro 400...
>
> The facts :
>
> - after a while (3 or 4 minutes), I hear the cpu fan starting and at
> this moment, my system hangs up and I have up shut power down...

This sounds like a kernel crash, the CPU spinning, and, naturally, the
increased temperature of the now always-busy CPU causing the fan to go on.

> - I read /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature but is is correct (40 °C)
> - I try to work without ACPI (acpi=off at boot time), but in this case
> my system is too slow... (15 mn to start, too slow after to work...)

Of course, this is unlikely to make any real difference whatsoever, unless
the suspected kernel bug is in the ACPI code that you've disabled.
Otherwise, none of this is likely to prevent triggering the suspected kernel
bug. The CPU high temperature is the symptom, not the cause.

I had this initially happen on one of my laptops after upgrading to F11. The
laptop would be unstable, and regularly crash, lock up, and spin the CPU,
causing the fan to go on. After installing the latest kernel upgrade, it
hasn't happened again, so far.