yum upgrade Fedora Core 5 -> Fedora Core 10?

Tosh toshlinux at gmail.com
Mon May 25 07:37:59 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Tosh wrote:
>> This should normally not be that difficult as CentOS 5 is based on FC6
>> You should grab the release rpm package, and replace manually, then you
>> can yum update to CentOS 5
>
> But some FC5 updates are newer than what CentOS 5 ships,
> breaking "upgrades". (For example, KDE is 3.5.5 in FC5 updates, 3.5.4 in
> CentOS 5, the kernel is 2.6.20 in FC5 updates, 2.6.18 (with tons of
> backports, but still "older" to RPM) in CentOS 5.)
>
>          Kevin Kofler

In case of a server, I presume you would be running KDE, or other
desktop apps, which would  be newer.
As for the kernel, this would create problems as you state, I think even
python would create some issues, resulting in yum not working
Any "upgrade" from fc5 would be somewhat risky, but I suspect it should
be possible.
So the only way I see to come to know this is doing the work on your pc
in a virtual instance to come to know how this would react.
But if you want to have a stable server platform, CentOS is a better
choice than Fedora, so if you anyway are changing it would be better to
convert to CentOS

--
Toshaan <toshlinux at gmail.com> - http://www.toshaan.be