Nouveau driver on F10

Cannon, Andrew C Andrew.Cannon at amec.com
Fri May 1 09:17:14 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of john wendel
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 5:18 AM
To: olivares14031 at yahoo.com; Community assistance, encouragement,and
advice for using Fedora.
Subject: Re: Nouveau driver on F10

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> [...]
experience.  While the nvoueau worked, it was not to my liking.  I
enabled rpm fusion and installed nvidia drivers and now can play movies
and have no troubles like I did with nvoueau.  If you want to get the
best out of your card, go ahead and enable rpm fusion and install the
nvidia driver.  Check out the following page(s) if you will follow this
route:

> http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f10.html
>
> and/or
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/
>
> and you should be set provided your card is supported in some way.
Also you are encouraged to install akmod package, this way when and if
you install a new kernel, the akmod package takes care of building the
nvidia driver against your new kernel and all should just work.

> If you do not need multimedia capabilities the noveaux driver should
work, and if it does not, many will encourage you to file bug reports.

> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the nvidia driver for my new cards, but
this card is a TNT2 (10 years old). The nvidia driver that supports it
won't build with the current F10 kernel, the nv driver is a P.O.S, and
it looks like nouveau doesn't like it either. Guess I'm out of luck.

If F11 doesn't work, I'll file a bugzilla.

Thanks,

John

John,

IIRC the nvoueau driver is reverse engineered from the proprietary
nVidia driver.  This doesn't support anything earlier than the GeForce 2
cards at least and I'm not too sure whether support for the entire
GeForce range prior to GeForce 4 has been dropped.  Check the nVidia
website for info on this, but I suspect that the TNT2 card is just too
old, sorry.

Andrew

Guidelines:

This email contains confidential information. The contents must
not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and
immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

The following notice applies to emails originating in the UK.
E-mails sent on behalf of AMEC are sent on behalf of the relevant AMEC
company below. These are registered in England and Wales with registered
office at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ and
number as shown: AMEC plc 01675285, AMEC Group Limited 04612748,
AMEC Capital Projects Limited 02804109, AMEC Earth and Environmental UK
Limited 04987981, AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited 03725076,
AMEC Nuclear M & O Limited 05664844, AMEC Nuclear UK Limited 01120437,
AMEC Nuclear International Limited 03260477, AMEC Nuclear Projects
Limited 05664962  and National Nuclear Corporation Limited 02290928