spdif/iec958 stopped working

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Fri May 1 19:25:22 UTC 2009

$ uname -a
Linux lain 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Mar 23 23:08:10 EDT
2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lspci -vvv -s 00:08.0
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio
(rev b1)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82fe
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

It used to work just fine in both analog & IEC958 modes. It was working
as of night of 4/29-4/30.
Overnight, however, the / filled up due to several large xbmc core
dumps. Last night the sound stopped working, which led me to discover
the filled up partition. After cleaning up about a gig, the digital
sound still doesn't work. Analog sound works just fine, though.

Somewhat interesting to note - when I enable IEC958 in the volume
control panel, the receiver switches from analog mode. (the computer is
an HTPC, both analog & digital outputs go to the receiver). I suppose
it's possible that the receiver died, but I feel software cause is much
more likely.

I didn't find any smoking guns in /var/log/messages - the only
audio-related message was about pulse not being able to run with real
time priority (which is normal, from what I gather)