nVidia vs. ATI graphics card for fedora

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat May 2 02:42:53 UTC 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I haven't seen this issue mentioned yet, but ATI has just depreciated
> all hardware older than the HD series of cards as of the 9.3 release...
>
> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/legacy/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.9&lang=English
>
> This means 9.4 and beyond will no longer promise support for these cards
> (although it may still work for a short while). I should have saw this coming
> when I couldn't get 9.2 or 9.3 to produce video on my X1650 under x86_64 Fedora 10.

Oh, I love it, my 2 year old laptop now has a deprecated video card (you
*did* mean deprecated, didn't you?)  How do you buy a new video card for
your laptop?????  Its not as easy as for your desktop....

This is just another attempt by ATI to sell more (current) hardware.

> We are all stuck with the free drivers now.

Which are not as good as the current proprietary drivers in *every*
feature supported.  If I want 3D and video and GL, the open drivers
don't do all 3 just yet (do they?)  The last time I tried them they didn't.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net