Fedora & XP on same machine, good bad or ugly

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat May 2 13:20:55 UTC 2009

On 05/01/2009 02:50 PM, Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Steven Kemp <SKemp010 at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>> Good Idea? on different hard drives. XP home installed now.
>> Good, Bad or ugly? Recommendations.
>> Steve
>>

> XP and Fedora install without problems on the same drive. Install XP first then
> Fedora.
> Don't forget the limitation of four primary partitions in a single drive.

You can use Extended partitions for all of Linux. Routinely, when I
don't use LVM, for a Linux only system I make primary partition 1 an
extended for the whole drive and use logicals for the rest of the
system. Generally, Linux likes  3 filesystems (/boot, swap, and root).
I always allocate /home and /usr/local a separate. Many times when you
buy a Windows system, 2 partitions are dedicated, 1 for the C: drive and
1 for the D: (or restore) drive. During installfests, I normally use a
partitioner (eg. gparted) to shrink the Windows C: partition, and
allocate primary 3 as extended. Then I have a number of logical
partitions available for Linux. I usually don't have too many choices at
installfests.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix