Installing a module

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon May 4 21:06:57 UTC 2009

On Sunday 03 May 2009 20:04, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have had difficulty getting tvtime to work.  There is no sound and the
> channel changer wouldn't work.
>
> I have solved the channel changing problem by modprobe tuner -- but I
> can't get it to stick i.e. I need to put a line into modprobe.d.  How do
> I do this?
>
> I have checked man modprobe.d --  "install modulename command..."
> Will "install tuner" do or do I need a specific command? If so what
> would it be?  I have no dependencies etc.
>
> As well, there is file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist.  I assume
> this is where I add the line -- but no mention of modprobe.conf.dist is
> made in man.
>
> Just some suggestions would be helpful regarding sound.
>
> I am using alsa
>
> My tvtime.xml is set to :line
> I have no actual external line-in from my Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe
> tv tuner card to my sound.
>
> My Volume Gui is set to HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)
> with volume sliders for Master (60%), PCM (100%), Front (100%), Line-in
> (100%), CD (0 %), PC Speaker (100%)
>
> I have been told that tvtime automatically finds my sound mixer driver
> and after that all sound problems are with alsa !?
>
> What other sound configurations should I experiment with?
>
> --
> Regards Bill
> Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3
> Evo.2.24.5, Emacs 22.3.1

Hi Bill.

I probably can't help much as my card is an Hauppauge WinTV Express. Analogue
TV (antenna), and the card has an audio out for connecting to the line in on
the soundcard. Anyway can you send the output from the following before you
modprobe the tuner module.

lspci -vn
lsmod        (the whole lsmod please)

To autoload the tuner module at bootup, and as Fedora does not have
an /etc/modules file (as debian has), try putting the line below
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe tuner

Not sure on the sound problem as I don't know how the sound is routed to the
soundcard from your TV card. Open alsamixer as below, and press F4 which will
show the capture controls. If your soundcard is an hda-intel one, there will
be few controls showing, but maybe it's worth a fiddle with what's there.

Also F10 has got pulseaudio installed, and perhaps pulseaudio has something to
do with the lack of sound from the TV card. Do the sounds work ok apart from
the TV card?

I never got tvtime to work well, and use xawtv myself.

All the best.

Nigel.