Installing a module

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed May 6 17:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi Mikkel;

Helpful as usual.

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 20:01 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> >
> > I have checked man modprobe.d --  "install modulename command..."
> > Will "install tuner" do or do I need a specific command? If so what
> > would it be?  I have no dependencies etc.
> >
> The install option is not what you need, unless you want to do some
> other things besides loading the module. You may need an alias line
> instead.
>
> > As well, there is file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist.  I assume
> > this is where I add the line -- but no mention of modprobe.conf.dist is
> > made in man.
> >
> The nice thing about the /etc/modprobe.d directory is that you can
> create your own file for a specific device, so that it does not get
> wiped out during an update. You can think of each file in
> /etc/modprobe.d as a /etc/modprobe.conf file. So create a file
> called tvtime and put the lines you need for tvtime in it.

At the risk of sounding really stupid:

Putting modprobe tuner in rc.local works.  But I thought there might be
a better (more professional way) such as somehow including something (a
file) in /etc/sysconfig/modules.  There used to be.

I thought of (was suggested to me) using /etc/modprobe.d, but I don't
need an 'alias' (I think) or an 'option' or 'install' with its
additional commands.

So...  How do I just get something equivalent to 'modprobe tuner'?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3