Video Capture Software

Robert L. Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed May 6 21:17:13 UTC 2009

Is there video capture software that works similarly to Pinnacle Studio? I need to capture video from a bunch of 16-20 year old VHS tapes from a VCR. I'd like to do this in Fedora if possible. If such software exists, do I need a specific video capture card. Or is any old capture card okay? Like the Pinnacle 500-USB?

One last question. Is there software that can fix defects in captured video? Well, that is not the best question for me to ask, there are so many reasons why the defects can be present. I have a one hour sample capture from a 16 year old tape that has so many reddish off-color frames, so many jerky "motions" and other unnatural breaks in the playback that I wonder if it's a) the tape b) the VCR c) the cable d) [insert guess here...you get the idea.]

Thanks

Bob Cochran