f10dvd installs but won't boot

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 6 22:02:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 14:49 -0700, jackson byers wrote:
> Craig responded:
> Either...
>
> A. let it boot up until the screen disappears...
> press <Control><Alt><F2>
>
> or
>
> B. Press a key at the grub prompt and highlight the kernel with the
> arrow keys and press the letter 'e', move down to the kernel line and
> press the letter 'e'. Add a space and put in the number "3" to tell it
> to boot to runlevel 3
> ---------------------------
> jbyers:
> A.   did not work, all it does is recover a blinking white  dash,
>  no response to keyboard
>
> B. I got partway thru this, i think including adding "3", then  I did
> something wrong
>   left with
> grub>
> I wasnt clear at this point  put in "boot"
> got many error msgs
>
> I finally went back to my fc5   and put a space and a "3"  at end of kernel line
> in the f10 grub.conf.
> This got me to login
>
> I will try
> yum update mkinitrd
> yum update
>
> later today; I need my fc5 right now.
----
well, it won't do you any good since you are not getting past grub

at this point, I would probably...

boot the Install DVD, put the kernel argument into the boot command...

linux install scsi_mod.scan=sync

and then re-install Fedora 10 by removing /dev/sda1 and perhaps
making /dev/sda1 about 200 megabytes for just /boot and then /dev/sda4
for /

At least if you boot the DVD with the scsi_mod.scan=sync kernel
parameter, when it installs the kernel and builds your initrd, it will
build it with that parameter already.

Craig

believed to be clean.