FC4: Kernel Panic - Not Syncing

Kumar Limbu kumarlimbu at gmail.com
Thu May 7 08:40:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a server which is running Fedora Core 4. I have updated the kernel to
version 2.6.17 because I was getting kernel panic on version 2.6.11. I used
yum for update. After the update the server worked fine for months before
the problem again started to surface. Now I get a similar Kernel Panic error
every few weeks.

Kernel panic - not syncing: bad locking

I thought that this might be an issue with the kernel so I tried updating it
again. Only this time yum doesn't show any new version as available.

So what are my options? How do I update the kernel on my server without
upgrading the OS itself? I would prefer an RPM update as opposed to a TAR
balls update.

Please feel free to ask further questions regarding the error message. I
will be more than willing to answer your queries.

Thanks for your help.