mv and exlude list

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu May 7 16:15:18 UTC 2009

Guillaume CHARDIN wrote:
> Hi, maybe some scripting genius gonna help me :D
>
> I need to move some file from one directory to other with some exclusions.
> Ex: move files from "/data/product/" to "/data/archives/2005" while
> the "*.dat" file/dirs stay in the right place.
>
> $mv /data/product/* !(/data/product/*.dat) /data/archives/2005

Try:

	find /data/product -name "*.dat" -prune -exec mv \{\} \
	/data/archives/2005 \;

You might try using "cp" instead of "mv", just to test it.  If it works,
then "find /data/product -name "*.dat" -exec rm -rf \{\} \;" to delete
the files.  Note that the target directory MUST exist before you run
the first command.
-       Charter Member of the International Sarcasm Society          -
-                "Yeah, like we need YOUR support!"                  -