what is "Document Viewer"?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:35:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> brian wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Sam & Georgi. I'm having a little PDF issue: ghostscript is
>>> complaining but Document Viewer is not. I needed to know that app is for
>>> debugging info. This is perfect.
>>
>> Yet another reason why programs should be named with their actual name in
>> the menus, not some generic name. :-/ This crap really needs to get fixed.
>>
> I think you have lost sight of the user here, the average user would see
> "evince" in a menu and have zero idea what it is and does.

None of us have any idea what the average Fedora is. Making decisions
based on a fictional user is not useful. You need to worry about the
users here and now, that are represented.

> It is a
> meaningless collections of vowels and consonants which are unrelated to the
> function. The name of the application should be available, but not at the
> expense of something useful to typical user.
>  document viewer (evince)
>  document viewer (xpdf)
> for examples.

Regardless of skill level, "document view" is not a useful search
term. Evince however is. Giving the user the ability to find
information, instead of assume it is more useful.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )