Why does my window fractionate?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri May 8 10:45:44 UTC 2009

Cannon, Andrew C wrote:

>> I'm running Fedora-10 with KDE.
>> Every now and then my window dissolves
>>
>>into several small windows, each corresponding to one of my desktops.
>>
>> I know this happens when I move the mouse over something, but I haven't
>> been able to work out what that something is.
>>

>> It is not a particularly onerous
problem.file:///usr/share/applications/kde4/Help.desktop
>> I just have to click on the mini-window
>> corresponding to the desktop I was in.

> Do you have desktop effects enabled?

I've no idea; how do I tell?

I see in f=>Applications=>System=>System Settings=>Desktop
there is a checkbox "Enable desktop effects" ticked (not by me).
If I click on the "All Effects" tab I see a list of "effects".
"Desktop Grid" is indeed checked in (not by me)
but it does not specify any way of implementing this option
except Ctrl+F8, which actually does something slightly different.
(The mini-desktops are aligned in a grid-like way with Ctrl+F8;
they are not aligned like this when the desktop fractionates.)

Am I alone in finding the whole KDE setup ludicrously complicated?
In my view it is a mistake to offer people billions of options
which would take hours to sift through.

I wish someone would convey to Fedora developers in general,
and KDE developers in particular, the merits of simplicity.
Every option added to an application reduces its usability.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net