FC10 and NDISwrapper

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 9 13:42:18 UTC 2009

John W. Linville wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:30:13AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>>> Rather than screw with NDISWrapper, are you using a BroadCom NIC?
>>> There is a native Broadcom driver in F10, but you need to load the
>>> firmware. There is a utility called b43-fwcutter you would use to do
>>> this from the Windows driver. In any case, it might be better for you to
>>> describe your wireless chip and Dell model. Note that NDISWrapper is
>>> bith a driver (ndiswrapper.ko) as well as a command.  But, in the case
>>> of Broadcom, it will conflict with the native driver.
>>>
>> Where do you D/L the firmware? Or even find the name of the firmware file
>> to try and dig it out of Windows? The wireless web site has numbers for the
>> firmware, but they haven't matched any filenames for most of the laptops
>> I've used.
>
> The instructions seem fairly clear here:
>
> 	http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#firmwareinstallation

They are clear, but seem to only talk about the b43 and b43legacy drivers which
still (FC11) don't support the bcm4410 NIC. There was a brief time when the
driver used by NM thought it was a 4311 (or 4315, memory fades) NIC, but
couldn't use it by any name.

The Broadcom site says that a driver for 4310/Linux is "being worked on," but
that was claimed 15 months ago, so it isn't happening. Looks like ndiswrapper is
still the only game in town.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>