Fedora sendmail auth

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 9 17:44:18 UTC 2009

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have some crappy laptop running windoze and I want to connect to my
> home server to send and receive my mail. I got the dovecot/imap side
> working but I need to know what to do to be allowed to use my server at
> home which runs sendmail as my SMTP server. Is there a gentle howto
> that's uptodate WRT F~10? Can I just auth by password or do I really
> need to go the whole certificate magilla? What packages are needed?

All you need is sendmail and dovecot. Only allow connections in your firewall to
the SSL ports, that's firewall configuration rather than mail, just open the
imaps (993) and smtps (465 aka TLS) for outside connect. That will let you
connect remotely fairly safely (with good passwords).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>