Mouse choices

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sun May 10 15:27:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 11:06 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> >> What have you tried? In Gnome, you can try System --> Preferences
> >> --> Hardware --> Mouse - it works for me.
> >
> > Just for clarity, Lawrence already reported that this problem is on F11
> > Preview. I was able to duplicate the problem on my system. I tested it
> > to make sure, even though I am not left handed.
> >
> > ...That wound up sounding like a line from a favorite movie of mine. :)
> >
> There's more to this than meets the eye, I just tried on fc11 and it worked fine
> for me, and instantly. I clicked left-handed and had to right click to exit the
> pop-up. That machine hasn't been updated in 12 hours or so, but it's relatively
> current.
>
> I just did the system->pref->mouse thing. I looked at the top post in this and
> it wasn't clear if the choice wasn't offered or it didn't work:
>
>    "I am still not able to choose left-handed or right-handed at mouse
>    control."
>
> I think there was an earlier post on this to the testing list, it sounds familiar.

... and I'll bet you're not left-handed either! :)

Seriously, I think you could be right. I just tried this on my laptop
using my external mouse, and then tried it again using my laptop's
touchpad / mouse buttons. I have the rawhide updates as of this morning.

Results: The touchpad worked instantly - just as your mouse did. But the
external mouse didn't change at all. I even logged off and then back on
and the external mouse (a Microsoft USB Presenter Mouse) remained in
right-handed mode while the laptop touchpad buttons were in left-handed
mode.

Cheers,

Chris

"In an age of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

--George Orwell