Re: Still having problems with my tv tuner -- need help

William Case wrote:
On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 22:23 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
On Saturday 09 May 2009 20:22, William Case wrote:
Hi;

tvtime gives me a great picture but no sound.

mplayer gives me a terrible picture and no sound.

(terrible = inverted picture with green background; just black and
magenta for colours; and vertical lines running through it.)

Is there a way to find out which video codecs etc. tvtime is using so I
can duplicate them in mplayer.  tvtime -v doesn't tell me (I think) nor
is mplayer -v helpful.

I have tried the sound with PulseAudio installed and removed.  No
difference.
<enormous skip>
P.S.  I am starting a new thread because a lot of information has
changed since my original thread.
--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3

I did a whole bunch of googling about your problem with the sound, and did find this on the v4l wiki for DVB. See below for link, etc.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Cx88_devices_%28cx2388x%29

I appreciate the your time and effort.  I reviewed the site. Thanks.
The suggestion is to load the following module, which affectively will create another soundcard for capture from the TV card.

modprobe cx88-alsa

Placed it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for the time being (modules are a
subject for another day)
For me, that also installed the cx88 module, and another bunch of modules related to v4l. As I don't have your TV card, or any TV card on this machine, I suspect the only extra modules you will see in lsmod is cx88, and cx88-alsa. You may now see 2 cards listed from the following command.

cat /proc/asound/cards

]$ lsmod | grep cx88_alsa
cx88_alsa 20488 0 cx88xx 75048 1 cx88_alsa
videobuf_dma_sg        19972  3 cx88_alsa,cx88xx,cx23885
btcx_risc              12296  3 cx88_alsa,cx88xx,cx23885
snd_pcm                85640  3 cx88_alsa,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    68984  17 cx88_alsa,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,\
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep

]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xe5300000 irq 16

If by some miracle you do, alsamixer as below should access controls for the second card.

alsamixer -D hw:1        (F4 again, if there are any capture controls)

Alas, no miracle.

The wiki link above suggests setting an alias line for cx88-alsa, and an options line so that on bootup it's set as card1. Some modules create problems and try to grab card0, which would create a conflict with your onboard soundcard which is set to use card0.

There is no /etc/modprobe.conf file in F10, and not being sure where to add lines in /etc/modprobe.d's files, I simply created a modprobe.conf file in /etc, so that I could place an options line for my usb midi keyboard, and it appears to work ok. I would suggest that you might do the same, and add the following lines to it.

alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
options cx88-alsa index=1

No point unless a second sound card has been created.

I am now getting some ticking sounds as if mplayer is trying to produce
sound.  I will keep tweaking and fiddling.

Sure it's a cx88 card? Try modprobing bttv and see if that gives you more joy.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>