radeon hd 2400 issues?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 12 18:03:49 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009, Tom Horsley wrote:
>Just for curiosity, are there known issues with 3D performance
>and the Radeon HD 2400 card? The system I have at work
>contains a card lspci describes as:
>
>01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV610 video device
> [Radeon HD 2400 PRO]
>
>I've tried the radeon driver (installed by default in f10),
>the radeonhd driver, and the fglrx driver from rpmfusion,
>and 3D performance basically sucks with all of them.
>Try to run some game like neverputt and the sucks up
>the whole CPU and can't move the images smoothly
>at all. The glxgears programs says something like 150 to 200
>fps for all the versions of the driver.
>
>I don't really have any need for 3d, but I was experimenting
>and wondered why a much newer card on a faster system than
>an ati system I have at home has such terrible performance
>compared to my older ati card at home.

AMD/ATI just made the docs drop for 3d support for these cards last week.  Sub
to the xorg list and ping Alex D. occasionally, he and his crew are working on
it.  I have one of those cards too, but it takes the version 1.2.5 radionhd
driver, (dunno if that is in the repo's yet, mine is home brew, about a month
old) and the drm in a later rcX of the 2.6.30 kernel just to make the
buffering work right, and stable at the same time.  Stable helps, but its
still slow.  And the buffering helps even when using the software rendering
engine cuz you don't have to go blind watching 700 millisecond screen redraws
for every 2 lines it scrolls.  Almost usable now, I can watch tv or network
news with only an occasional spastic frame drop on a dsl circuit.

It will happen, but the lawyers always have to have their say. :p(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)