Questions on Partitioning across two drives

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed May 13 01:35:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 12:40:05 -0400,
  "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Thanks Kevin for your help on this.
>> Can I change a ext3 partition  (sda1) with  data on it to raid 0 or do
>> I have to do a fresh install ?
>
> Look at the raid tools like mdadm.  I'm pretty sure you can (mdadm
> --assemble?), but you have to be careful of the options you use when you
> create the raid array.  Read the help files and the man pages.

It won't work in the usual way because md needs to store some extra information
which generally isn't going to have any place to go in that partition unless
the ext3 fs was created not using the whole partition. I seem to remember
you can put the data somewhere else, but that isn't the normal way to do
things and could easily cause problems.

Also if he is really talking raid 0 (and not linear) then striping is going
to be a problem.