cell phone

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu May 14 23:50:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 19:24 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> And Dell laptops run Windows... and Linux runs on all of them. I would certainly
> rather have Android than OSX (or Fedora) on a phone, but that's not what the OP
> was asking. Clearly iPhone is a WIP, but it's up and sort-of running.
>
> You can tell who really likes their OS, no one is doing a VISTA port to iPhone. ;-)
----
well, Microsoft already has a phone OS but they are handicapped to the
extent of at the point where they start making the hardware too, they
will tick off a lot of vendors.

It remains to be seen what's going to happen with phones but the reality
is that the wireless companies are in charge of the phones and lock them
down pretty much despite the underlying OS and if you actually have a
'free' phone (unlocked from specific carrier, unburdened by manufacturer
restrictions, able to install anything you want), you aren't the type of
customer that the wireless companies want to service...think OpenMoko -
Android isn't open or free.

Craig

believed to be clean.