Dell Vostro 1510 - sound only gives clicks on the speakers

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri May 15 10:06:57 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Still slowly working through setting up my Dell Vostro 1510 with Fedora 10.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who helped get the WIFI working - stop on now.

Next I'm working on getting the sound working.  I've got two problems.

1) I don't actually get any sound out. All I get is clicking on the speakers.

system-config-sound doesn't appear to exist any more, and I don't really know
where to look next.  It looks like Linux actually things that everything is
working as I cannot find and errors anywhere.

Can anyone please tell me where in KDE I can a control audio hardware and see
what Linux things it is using, and then how I can fix it.

Here's what lspci says about the audio device.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Dell Device 0273
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping-
SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
	Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1
Enable-
		Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
	Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
		DevCap:	MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
			ExtTag- RBE- FLReset-
		DevCtl:	Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
			RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
			MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
		DevSta:	CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
		LnkCap:	Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Latency L0 <64ns, L1
<1us
			ClockPM- Suprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
		LnkCtl:	ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
			ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
		LnkSta:	Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk- DLActive- BWMgmt-
ABWMgmt-
	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
	Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

2) I can't get MP3's to work.   In all previous Fedora installs I've used xmms
to play my music, using the xmms-mp3 rpm. This doesn't appear to be available
for FC10.  I'm not too bothered about xmms, but would love to be able to play
MP3's again.  Can anyone tell me how best to achieve this.

Ta.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn