Ethernet problem on eeecp 1000HD (Atheros Controller)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri May 15 12:03:22 UTC 2009

Alessandro Boggiano wrote:
> Hi all,
> just tried Fedora 11 on my eeepc 1000HD: is great! ;)
>
> But I have this strange problem in the office:
> I can ping every machine on my net, but not the router (so I can't even
> update).
>
> I tried to modprobe the module with the parameter media_type=[0-4] but
> the result is the same.
> I tried ubuntu 9.04 on a usb stick: the same! :(
>
> I really don't know what to do now!
>
> *ANY* idea will be appreciated !
>
> kernel 2.6.29.1-102.fc11
>
> The output of lspci is:

Probably irrelevant.

This is almost certainly a routing problem, assuming that your router even
responds to ping.

Thing to try:
- ping the router a few times: ping -c3 -w5 router_IP
- see if the router responded: arp -a
- netstat -r

One more thing, if your network admin is properly paranoid, your unknown MAC
address got a special IP from DHCP, and it will be in a range treated
differently than "known" IP's given to known machines. I certainly have it set
up like that, you may as well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>