Using Philips GoGear on Fedora

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun May 17 17:59:13 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I just bought a Philips GoGear 8 Gb. I chose this mostly because it is
free of DRM stuff. That is one of the things Philips emphasises on for
the GoGear range of media players. To play my mp3's all I need to do is
drag and drop them to the player which is mounted as a regular USB drive.

Everything is awesome except that the player can't read the tags
although the manual says it supports both ID3v1 and v2. I use Picard to
tag my mp3's and they show up just fine in rhythmbox. As for video, it
needs to be converted to .smv (Simgatel mobile video, I think) before
the player can play them. So I figured I might need to use something
like opengear[1] or golb[2] (GoGear On Linux Boxes) to do the file
transfers and video conversion, but these projects seem to have been
abandoned. Moreover I wasn't able to compile the source code from the
golb tarball as there was no configure script or makefile.

I have tried running the manufacturer provided software on wine, but
that is a no go. Does anyone have any experience with these players?

Thanks in advance.

[1]http://opengogear.sarovar.org/
[2]http://golb.sourceforge.net/#download
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/golb/