How to set group of video and audio devices automatically

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Tue May 19 05:15:05 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am running f9.

How do you set the owner/group of the various audio and video devices I
have on my machine? When I plug in a webcam, it is recognized and the
correct modules are loaded, but the ownership is set to root:root and
the permissions 660.

It used to be done in udev, but something is overriding my udev rules,
and I seem to recall that there used to be something in
/etc/security/console.perms.d too, but I can't remember what.

Of course I can become root and change the permissions manually, but
that gets old. I would like to have the permissions set correctly when
the devices are detected.

So how do I do that?

Regards,

Derek