Broken video DVDs (no executable bits on *_TS folders)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 24 00:45:36 UTC 2009

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some home made DVDs by some software is creating *_TS folders with
> 0400 permissions. This means that only root can really change into
> these folders.
>
> Is there a way to tell Fedora to always paste executional bits onto
> video DVDs?
>
> I'm trying to convert some people to use Fedora for their home systems
> and when they find out that Fedora will ignore their home made DVDs
> they don't really care that their Wincrap software generated a bad DVD
> ("after all it runs on the DVD player").
>
> So while Fedora is actually doing The Right Thing, it is hindering its
> own acceptance. :(

I can't imagine any change which would make that work and still be remotely
functional behavior. Turning off permissions checking on directories isn't going
to happen.

You *might* be able to write a user-mode filesystem which ran as root and made
the media available with other permissions, or the xorisso package might let you
keep the metadata in memory with changed permissions. Finally, you could make a
copy of just the directory structure on a ramdisk, update the directory
permissions, then write a symlink to each file in the ramdiskf/s and access
stuff that way. I think that would work, but it's *UGLY*!

The DVDs are broken, tell your friends their software is crap. And that the
media will not play in certain Blu-Ray players which check properly. That might
make a better connection.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>