Broken video DVDs (no executable bits on *_TS folders)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sun May 24 02:11:23 UTC 2009

Axel Thimm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some home made DVDs by some software is creating *_TS folders with
> 0400 permissions. This means that only root can really change into
> these folders.
>
> Is there a way to tell Fedora to always paste executional bits onto
> video DVDs?
>
> I'm trying to convert some people to use Fedora for their home systems
> and when they find out that Fedora will ignore their home made DVDs
> they don't really care that their Wincrap software generated a bad DVD
> ("after all it runs on the DVD player").
>
> So while Fedora is actually doing The Right Thing, it is hindering its
> own acceptance. :(

How are you mounting your DVDs? Is it auto-mounted by HAL? I sometimes
use Windowmaker as my desktop and it doesn't automount any external
storage device. Then I have to mount it by hand. I use the following to
do that successfully.

$ sudo mount -o uid=regular-user -o gid=group-of-user [other options]

I think similar other options for -o allow you to mount with the
executable bit set. The DVDs might work if you mounted it like this.

Just a wild thought. :-/

--
Suvayu