Webserver(?) performance issues when accessed through non-server system (SOLVED)

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Sun May 24 11:47:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:54:42 +0200
Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:

> Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
>
> > So, my humble opinion is that the issue is a network configuration
> > issue on my system, since the two radically different performance
> > scenarios described above are occuring on two systems that are
> > hooked up the the same router.
>
> Your webserver is probably waiting a lot of time for each one
> of the files it is serving.
>
> DNS resolution issues?
> ECN? (cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn)
> MTU problems? (try if "ifconfig eth0 mtu 576" on the F10 machine
> helps)
>
> Do pages finally load after a long time or do they really hang for
> ever?
>
> A "tcpdump -i eth0" on F10 could help in understanding what's
> happening on the network.

First off, thank you very much for your help.  Some time after I sent
my original message to the list, my brother suggested that I try this:
http://192.168.1.100/gallery2/main.php (192.168.1.100 being the IP
address of our system that has the server running on it.)  This worked
perfectly.  Of course, I shouldn't have to replace the domain name with
the IP address just to run Gallery2 and Squirrelmail from our new
Fedora 10 system.  So, inspiration struck me, and the problem has been
fixed ever since.  The complete fix was adding this line to the
"Problem System":
192.168.1.100   afolkey2.net            www.afolkey2.net

So, I put a line in 192.168.1.101's /etc/hosts file telling it to map
requests for afolkey2.net and www.afolkey2.net to 192.168.1.100 (the
address of our server.)  Perfectly solved my problem :)

Again, thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

Steven P. Ulrick