NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun May 24 13:57:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 14:38:43 +0930,
  Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-23 at 08:18 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> > I do recognize there are plenty of open source people out there
> > working to offer alternative choices, and I support them too. I made a
> > choice to use Fedora outside of my work place. But in making that
> > choice I also decided to be practical and understand there are times
> > when I may have to use non-free solutions.
>
> One wonders if these same zealots stick to their guns about not buying
> closed stuff when they buy their motherboards...  There's more than just
> NVidia that's a magic black box in the computer.

I plan on taking coreboot support into consideration the next time I need
to buy a motherboard. The last time I bought a motherboard for myself
(at work I had a limited choice of Dell machines of which the model picked
was heavily influenced by being able to have an ATI graphics card) was around
2003 and at that time I wasn't aware of the coreboot (then known as linuxbios)
project. However as I have recently scrounged a couple of more about 6 year
old machines, I won't be buying a new motherboard soon unless an existing one
goes belly up.

I also care about other hardware I buy. When I bought a DVD player, I made
sure it was one where I would be able to freely change the region code (even
though I just watch region 1 stuff). At some point I'll probably build a
mythtv based DVR / DVD player to avoid all of the other DVDCCA required
crap.