gallery2 update that came out today.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon May 25 16:10:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 13:35 -0300, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Jason Dickerson
> <jason.dickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>         The update will break the gallery; however there is a
>         workaround.  Before you run the upgrade from
>         http://<host>/gallery2/upgrade, you need to add the following
>         symlink
>
>         ln -s /usr/share/php/Smarty /usr/share/gallery2/lib/smarty
>

>         If you have already run the upgrade, you can still just add
>         the symlink and it will work.  I only say to add it before, to
>         minimize the system check errors.
>
>         After the symlink is added, the upgrade system checks detect 3
>         files missing (2 documentation files and a jar file,
>         g2_db2.jar) and 2 modified (Smarty_Compiler.class.php and
>         modifier.debug_print_var.php).  These do not seem to present
>         an issue.
>
>         As far as I can tell, everything is working after the symlink
>         was created.
>

> Unless I am missing something, it seems to be impossible
> to upload pictures without the remote module. I was only able to
> upload my pictures via digikam, after manually installing the remote
> module.

	It looked like gallery2-remote was obsoleted by gallery2-2.3-1 and the
file was there:

rpm -qf /usr/share/gallery2/modules/remote/ItemAddGalleryRemote.inc
gallery2-remote-2.3-1.fc10.noarch

	Now it's gone from 2.3-7 and later.  Not fixed with the Smarty fix
that's in 2.3-11 that's in Koji.  This sucks.  I can't even add local
items, I immediately get an "invalid path" error that this file is not
found.  Filing a bugzilla on this one now.

	Looks like it got pulled due to a requirement for "nonredistributable
jars" but it screws me over royally.  As soon as I click on "Add Items
to Album" it blows chunks and I have no idea what to do about it.  I'm
rebuilding the RPM's right now with the "rm -rf remote" commented out.
I don't really use the remote protocol but it sucks getting screwed over
like this by a build "upgrade".

> I also tried using webdav, but nautilus from F10 is not able to access
> webdav shares: bugzilla #458892

	I can access webdav by connecting to the server under Gnome.  If you
need to use SSL (which I do) it's a little tricky.  I had to add some
helper file, IIRC.  Web search turned up that trick.

> Therefore, I think that this new release (to cope with legal issues)
> has some regressions, which are difficult to deal with.

	THAT's putting it mildly.

> --
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ