live boot networking question

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:26:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Aldo Foot  wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM, David L  wrote:
>> I have a fedora live USB stick that I want to be able to boot in
>> a co-worker's laptop so they can run a Linux app on their
>> Windows system.  The app talks to an embedded device
>> through wired ethernet, so I need to set a static IP address
>> of the wired ethernet device.  Is there a way to do this since
>> the wired hardware device will be different on different computers?
>> On one co-worker's system, wired ethernet came up as eth0.
>> On another, it came up as eth2.  We don't have a DHCP server
>> in the embedded device, so I have to assign a static address.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>            David
>

> The easy way:
>
> Say that the ethernet device came up a eth2, then edit or create
> the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2. In the file put
> something like this:
>
> DEVICE=eth2
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=1111.2222.3333.4444
> HWADDR=00:07:F5:3E:A7:6A
> IPADDR= 5555.6666.7777.8888
> NETMASK=255.255.254.0
> NETWORK=143.119.40.0
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> The DEVICE and HWADDR labels identify the NIC.

Thanks for the response...

If I understand this easy way, it requires that I know what eth device
the wired ethernet will come up as.  I've tested it on two laptops
and one came up as eth0 and one came up as eth2.  But I don't
know that it won't come up as eth1 or eth3 on another system.
I was hoping there was a way to configure the wired ethernet
device rather than a specific eth# so I could give a USB stick
to a random co-worker and expect the wired ethernet to come
up with the desired IP (without knowing their eth# or hwaddr).

Thanks,

                    David