Screensaver usurpation

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed May 27 17:55:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:46:17 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth wrote:

> 	So suppose I tell it yes. From other posts in this thread, it
> seems I would still have some part of xscreensaver. What, in non-
> technical terms, would it look like?

It would look exactly like xscreensaver, because it would be xscreensaver.

You're getting confused when you see xscreensaver*-gss in the gnome-screensaver
dependency list.  Note that the gss stands for "gnome-screensaver".
xscreensaver*-gss is a compatibility thing that allows gnome-screensaver to
work with xscreensaver.  If you're using xscreensaver on its own (like I do)
you don't need xscreensaver*-gss as it would serve no purpose.

You can have a complete, working xscreensaver installation with all the toys
available by doing "yum remove gnome-screensaver" and then installing the
following rpms:

xscreensaver-base
xscreensaver-gl-base
xscreensaver-gl-extras