I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 28 17:24:12 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Steve Underwood wrote:
>> I thought most people wanted to get rid of pulseaudio.
>
>Only because people like you perpetuate some stupid myth that PulseAudio is
>evil.
>
>> Its a very troublesome program with poor documentation, and little output
>> to help you resolve problems. If you get it working it seems to offer you
>> nothing you didn't have before you had pulseaudio.
+1000

>It makes sound just work, without apps fighting for the sound device (or
>multiple incompatible sound servers all trying to "fix" this fighting for
>the sound device). No more annoyances like games failing to play sound
>because some GUI event sound was still being played when they tried opening
>the sound device. (I've seen, or rather heard, that happen way too often in
>pre-PulseAudio times.)

Yeah, but with it working, only the system beep works...

>Most sound cards don't do mixing in hardware. A few do support it, but the
>ALSA driver doesn't. Only few sound cards can do it and have ALSA support
>for it. So PulseAudio is a mixing solution which works for everyone.
>
>        Kevin Kofler

If only it worked...

And I will continue to denigrate it until we have a configuration tool that
WILL let us make it work regardless of ones choice of hardware.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Reality is just a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.