I'd like to get rid of pulseaudio but ...

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu May 28 20:17:50 UTC 2009

> On Thursday 28 May 2009, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>Steve Underwood wrote:
>>> I thought most people wanted to get rid of pulseaudio.
>>
>>Only because people like you perpetuate some stupid myth that PulseAudio
>> is
>>evil.
>>
>>> Its a very troublesome program with poor documentation, and little
>>> output
>>> to help you resolve problems. If you get it working it seems to offer
>>> you
>>> nothing you didn't have before you had pulseaudio.
> +1000
>>
>>It makes sound just work, without apps fighting for the sound device (or
>>multiple incompatible sound servers all trying to "fix" this fighting for
>>the sound device). No more annoyances like games failing to play sound
>>because some GUI event sound was still being played when they tried
>> opening
>>the sound device. (I've seen, or rather heard, that happen way too often
>> in
>>pre-PulseAudio times.)
>
> Yeah, but with it working, only the system beep works...
>
>>Most sound cards don't do mixing in hardware. A few do support it, but
>> the
>>ALSA driver doesn't. Only few sound cards can do it and have ALSA support
>>for it. So PulseAudio is a mixing solution which works for everyone.
>>
>>        Kevin Kofler
>
> If only it worked...
>
> And I will continue to denigrate it until we have a configuration tool
> that
> WILL let us make it work regardless of ones choice of hardware.

And therein lies the rub.

There are times when I can start up my X session, and it appears that
everything works...then, other times, I start up my X session and I get a
popup box indicating that PulseAudo wouldn't work because of something,
and it's falling back to another mode of sound.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS